Thread: HELP- My son has a skin rash on his face!

HELP- My son has a skin rash on his face!

About a month ago my son(7 years old) developed a skin rash on his face. It looks red and has tiny little water blisters. The doctors here in Costa Rica do not know what it could be. After doing the lab samples of his skin they determined it is not a fungus. My cousin got a hedgehog at the same time I did and about two weeks ago developed a similar rash on her finger after her hedgy pricked her while she was giving him a bath. My son\'s skin is not itchy and I am trying to find out if it is the hedgehog that has given him this rash. I am going out of my mind trying to find out what it is as it is spreading rather fast. Anyout there have a similar thing happen? Please let me know ASAP! None of the topical creams they have given him have worked.

Re:HELP- My son has a skin rash on his face!

Did your pediatrician suggest benadryl or any other antihistamine in case it is an allergy to something? Our doctor will try to rule out allergies first in a lot of cases.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Only a very few people have hedgehog allergies so bad that they get blisters, but it does happen. Generally they go away within a week or so after contact is stopped. Also, I believe the rash usually breaks out in places where you\'ve had physical contact with the hedgehog.

Where did you get the hedgehog from?

-K
    Kelly Sosik-Hamor
    Hamor Hollow Hedgehogs, a New Hampshire breeder
    Do you want to buy a baby Hedgehog? Ask me if they are available |
    Hedgehog World

I got the Hedgy at a pet store- I must say he was infested with mites but I didn\'t know that there was anything wrong. Until I came onto this sight I discovered the problem. My cousin was diagnosed with a terrible bacterial infection that was a result of a quill prick on her finger.

I was just wondering if anyone has had this experience because it is not going away and it is spreading. I don\'t have an appointment till tomorrow with that same doctor but all things are pointing in the direction of bacteria in the quills.

I\'ve had my hedgie for almost two years, and just in the past couple weeks I\'ve started getting a rash on the inside of my forearms after I play with Kumquat. He doesn\'t prick me, this is just general contact. The rash is pink skin with little white bumps, similar to the rash I get after coming in contact with nickel, which i\'m allergic to. It usually goes away within an hour or two. I keep meaning to try giving him a bath and seeing if that helps, but as for now I really have no explanation.

Your son\'s rash sounds to me like a bad allergic reaction, but it seems unlikely that the hedgehog would have had contact with his face. I hope you figure it out!

Gina

Unfortunately, my seven year old loved to kiss him. That is where his face came to contact with him.

On the bacteria and quills. I was recently hospitalized with a fungal infection that had gotten bacteria into it and gone septic. The only way to find out fungus vs bacteria is to have the fluid cultured and or biopsy. Mine came back with both and was making me very sick. I ended up hospitalized with IV antibiotics and oral fungal meds which weeks later I am still on. It was very scary and very itchy. It started out with whiteish bumps like pimples, spread and got worse from there.
    Robin

RobinLee06 wrote:
    On the bacteria and quills. I was recently hospitalized with a fungal infection that had gotten bacteria into it and gone septic. The only way to find out fungus vs bacteria is to have the fluid cultured and or biopsy. Mine came back with both and was making me very sick. I ended up hospitalized with IV antibiotics and oral fungal meds which weeks later I am still on. It was very scary and very itchy. It started out with whiteish bumps like pimples, spread and got worse from there.
    Robin

Did you get a fungal infection from one of your hedgehogs? Was it like ring worm? I am assuming the hedgehog got treatment too? Any ideas how he/she contracted it to begin with??
    Julie Pierce
    Pierce\\\'s Pogs
    www.piercespogs.com