+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Danger: Ivermectin in Hedgehogs

Re:Danger: Iviciminicin in Hedgehogs

so since its just 1 treatment that the vet gave her she\'s safe from the harmful effects of ivermectin? and she took it orally so hasn\'t she already pooped or peed the medicine by now?

nwB123 wrote:
    so since its just 1 treatment that the vet gave her she\'s safe from the harmful effects of ivermectin? and she took it orally so hasn\'t she already pooped or peed the medicine by now?
    She should be fine at this point. If she were going to react to the first treatment, she would have done so by now. I would not recommend doing any further treatments, and I would wait at least a week before using Revolution.

-K
    Kelly Sosik-Hamor
    Hamor Hollow Hedgehogs, a New Hampshire breeder
    Do you want to buy a baby Hedgehog? Ask me if they are available |
    Hedgehog World

ok thanks i feel relieved to know that shes gonna b okay. it was only for preventive measures according to the vet.

Re:Danger: Ivermectin in Hedgehogs

I need help/advice!

My hedgehog got 1 dose of Ivermectin today. I do not want to make him go back for the second dose, as that is the bad one. What should I do? Should I tell my veterarian about Revolution and if they can perform it on Pepper?

If they don\'t should I find another vet that does? Please, if somebody could give me a vet in my area [Fairfield County(Westport), Connecticut] that would be so great. Thanks, this website has been really helpful.
    [img size=150]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c171/hedgehoggurl/Webcam.jpg[/img]

What should I do? Should I tell my veterarian about Revolution and if they can perform it on Pepper?
    Revolution is a spot on treatment between the shoulder blades, not a shot, so there isn\'t much to perform. It just gets dtopped on between the quills. I would ask your vet for that instead of the second shot if I were you.

If they don\'t should I find another vet that does? Please, if somebody could give me a vet in my area [Fairfield County(Westport), Connecticut] that would be so great.
    I can probably give you a few names if you want. Feel free to email me thru the link below.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Can Revolution be used to prevent mites or should it only be used if your hedgie actually gets mites. Mine does not have mites, I am just curious.

my cat had fleas a while back and the hedgies some how got them too... so i used it then, then a little later kitty got them again! so i puta drop on each just to be safe, i dont think it really affects them if they dont have anything. why do you want to give it to him?

Administrator

Revolution can be used as an occasional pre-treatment if you feel it is necessary. I wouldn\'t do it super frequently, but probably 2-3 times per year would be fine to help reduce the chance of mites.
    Becca

Thanks. I don\'t want to give it to her yet, but just in case one of my other animals happen to get anything, it is good to know that it can be used to prevent the spread of fleas/mites to hedgie. My dogs both get flea treatment spring-fall. My cats do not at all. Usually we do not have a problem because they are indoor cats, but every once in a while the one likes to sneak out and has gotten fleas before.

So from reading about this post, I was wondering about if \'Revolution\' was for only outside parasites, mites, etc, or if Kozmo did need to be de-wormed if that could still help him internally (won\'t know if he needs this for a few more days). Also, what are some of the other meds that are ok for de-worming in hedgehogs? I will try to look up some things on my own, but I was really hoping some people with experiences/knowledge in these things could help.
    ~Kozmo (hedgehog) ~Juliette (human)

I have an Etsy page! http://www.etsy.com/shop/Vanillabeana

I have hedgehog things on Zazzle! http://www.zazzle.com/vanillabeana/h...t=date_created

+ Reply to Thread